Placed in Service on December 16, 1932, Engine Company 16 has served the District of Columbia and it’s citizens well. With eighty four years of wear and tear, this stately building was in need of repair. The District of Columbia selected LeMay Erickson Willcox Architects to provide a major renovation of the existing facility. In addition to modernizing the station, the design strives to return the 80 year old structure to its former glory as a civic landmark. Specific features include recreating and installing the lost original copper weathervane, replacing the copper vaulted roof vents, repointing the brickwork, replacing the windows with divided lights, and refurbishing the stately cupola.
Over the last 12 months, John Kelly of the Washington Post has witnessed the buildings transformation first hand. To read Mr. Kelly’s Washington Post article please click here: The District’s 1932 Engine 16 Firehouse is getting an $8.5 million facelift