Arlington County Fire Station No. 8
As one of the first African American volunteer fire departments south of the Mason Dixon line, Fire Station 8 has been the heart of its neighborhood for over 100 years. From the outset of the design process, the community has been a driving factor in ensuring the new station is designed as not only a state-of-the-art facility, but one that pays homage to the department’s storied past.
The new 20,000 SF, three story, four bay fire station includes 12 gender neutral sleeping suites, living and administrative spaces, a fitness training room, as well as industry leading decontamination areas. To address the history and legacy of the station, LEWA led workshops with the County and community to gain consensus on the incorporation of a mural, virtue words, and planters at the main entrance.
The new facility will be designed to meet LEED Silver while striving to be Net Zero ready with a focus on energy efficiency, passive strategies, and features such as a rooftop photovoltaic system, vegetated roof, and highly efficient building envelope.
LEWA Awarded Arlington 823 March 2019
Having just celebrated its 100th Anniversary, Arlington Fire Station No. 8 has a historied past, dating back to 1918. It was then that a group of African American volunteer…